If you agree that you owe the money claimed and don’t think you have any grounds to dispute either the claim or the amount claimed, you can file an admission. If you dispute the amount claimed you can file a partial admission.
  • If you admit the claim in full, complete form N9A.

  • If you admit the claim in part, complete both N9A and N9B forms.

When completing form N9A, you need to provide your financial information in order to back up your offer to pay in installments. See statement of means.

You may admit only part of the claim because you disagree with the amount claimed or because you think they claimant owes you some money, for example, for mis-sold PPI.

If you admit the claim, the claimant can request judgment as soon as they receive your admission. This will result in a CCJ against you.
If you admit the claim but want to avoid a CCJ recorded against you, you may want to enter into an agreement with the claimant via a Tomlin order. See Consent and Tomlin orders.
If you are able to make full payment, no judgment will be recorded against you. If the claimant obtains judgment and you are able to pay it in full within 28 days, the judgment will be wiped off the record.
You can only file a defence or a partial admission online on the Money Claim online (MCOL) website. To file a full admission, you need to use form N9A.

Part 14 of the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) deals with admissions.

Admission by notice in writing – application for judgment


(1) Where a party makes an admission under rule 14.1(2) (admission by notice in writing), any other party may apply for judgment on the admission.

(2) Judgment shall be such judgment as it appears to the court that the applicant is entitled to on the admission.

Admission of whole of claim for specified amount of money


(1) This rule applies where –

(a) the only remedy which the claimant is seeking is the payment of a specified amount of money; and

(b) the defendant admits the whole of the claim.

(2) The defendant may admit the claim by returning to the claimant an admission in the relevant practice form.

(3) The claimant may obtain judgment by filing a request in the relevant practice form and, if they do so –

(a) if the defendant has not requested time to pay, the procedure in paragraphs (4) to (6) will apply;

(b) if the defendant has requested time to pay, the procedure in rule 14.9 will apply.

(4) The claimant may specify in his request for judgment–

(a) the date by which the whole of the judgment debt is to be paid; or

(b) the times and rate at which it is to be paid by instalments.

(5) On receipt of the request for judgment the court will enter judgment.

(6) Judgment will be for the amount of the claim (less any payments made) and costs –

(a) to be paid by the date or at the rate specified in the request for judgment; or

(b) if none is specified, immediately.

Need help? Join the forum
Need legal help or advice? Contact us.