Continuous Payment Authorities (CPAs)

If you provide a company with your credit or debit card details, authorising them to charge your account on a regular basis, you will have set up a Continuous Payment Authority (CPA). CPAs do not offer the same guarantees as Direct Debits (DDs) and Standing Orders (SOs). However, you have the right to cancel them by contacting the bank or credit card issuer.
Continuous payment authorities are also known as ‘recurrent payments’. Unlike direct debits and standing orders, you provide the company with your card details rather than your bank account details. They are often set up to repay payday loans.

You have the right to cancel a continuous payment authority or recurring payment directly with your bank or credit card company, even if you have not cancelled it with the company taking the payment.
The bank or credit card company cannot refuse to cancel the recurring payment or insist that you contact the company taking the payment.

It is a good idea to contact the company you set up the payment with as well as your bank or credit card company.

Keep an eye on your credit card or current account balances and check your statements to ensure the recurring payment has been cancelled and no money is being taken.
If money has been taken after you have cancelled a recurring payment, you can ask your bank to refund the money taken and the bank must comply.

If the bank refuses to either cancel the recurring payment or refund the money, you should complain in writing to the bank. They have 8 weeks to respond to your complaint.

If the bank does not deal with your complaint or does not respond within 8 weeks, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman. Refer to this page: How to complain.

If you cancel a recurring payment, the debt will still exist, and you will need to set up an alternative repayment method.
Sources: FCA, Money Advice Service.